feature requests

Supporting Artists Who Have Been Screwed (Comic Book Forums)

• Supporting Artists Who Have Been Screwed

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 25, 2015 7:07:32 pm
  • Small introduction from me. Whitney Cook. Some of y'all know me already and call me Cookie. I'm primarily an indie comic book colourist, but I also do my own side freelancing.

To avoid getting really lengthy, I'll copy and paste what I've been posting around in hopes of getting attention for both myself, and my partner Marvin (he is mentioned below.)
    Some of you already know this has been a battle for me for a while, as I've sought guidance. This GoFundMe fundraiser is one of the last ways Marvin and I will be able to be compensated.

"If you got a minute to read, I’d appreciate it. This is a GoFundMe fundraiser to raise money to help try and compensate two artists, (myself, Whitney Cook, the colourist, and Marvin Castillo, the illustrator, single father of a 12-year old son) who have already completed our work (a lot of it), and due to miscalculations and VERY unforeseen events (happening to our employer), we were unable to be compensated. (Woah, right?)
    If you’re not an artist, you might not understand the value of art, if you are, you might understand that working on a 32-page book and then not getting your payment is sort of a terrifying and stressful deal. This GoFundMe is going to help us a lot.
    If you can’t donate, please share everywhere you can! Every type of support counts! Support an artist! We work hard too! Please don’t let our hard work go unpaid."

www.gofundme.com/FireFly2

I hope that if you're unable to donate to this fund, that you'll find time to share this link on your social media sites and support us as artists, and as people who have dreams, and bills to pay.
  • Posted: February 26, 2015 4:34:06 pm
  • Hi Whitney, I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation you're in. Your link doesn't go to a working page though, just a "Campaign Not Found" message.
  • Posted: February 26, 2015 4:55:45 pm
  • skippyballer486 said:
    Hi Whitney, I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation you're in. Your link doesn't go to a working page though, just a "Campaign Not Found" message.

Oh dear. That must be because of the quotation mark that I added right next to the URL.
    Have to admit, that freaked me out a little.

Here is a working link: http://www.gofundme.com/FireFly2
  • Posted: February 27, 2015 9:03:30 am
  • Yep, working now. I hope you're successful raising the funds.

Also, I took a look at the comic and I have to say that the art looks really nice. Anyone who's thinking about donating should read the first issue; I can't say for sure that it will convince you, but it's definitely got the potential to be a good comic if the art team is able to get paid so they can stick around.
  • Posted: February 27, 2015 12:30:57 pm
  • skippyballer486 said:
    Yep, working now. I hope you're successful raising the funds.

Also, I took a look at the comic and I have to say that the art looks really nice. Anyone who's thinking about donating should read the first issue; I can't say for sure that it will convince you, but it's definitely got the potential to be a good comic if the art team is able to get paid so they can stick around.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read it and check out the art.

The art in the second book is a little different from #1, we had to use two different illustrators. And I had a tighter deadline for the 32 pages than I did for the 12 pages for the #1.
    Which makes it more of a disappointment in not getting paid.
    Cool thing about #1 and #2 is that we had the amazing Tom Orzechowski lettering the book. Smile He's a great man. Always does an outstanding job.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 18
  • Antarctic Press's Exciting Comics Issue # 43
  • Titan Comics's Forgotten Runes: Wizard's Cult Issue # 3b
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 7