feature requests

Third Wave of DC + Cancellations (Comic Book Forums)

Author Third Wave of DC + Cancellations
Posted: June 8, 2012 8:21:22 am
DC is starting to reveal information about this. There will be four new series coming out which means four cancellations. They have already stated that JLI will be cancelled but the other three series have not been revealed yet.

Here are the solicits for the new series:

TALON - Writer Scott Snyder with co-writer James Tynion IV. Artist: Guillem March.
Meet Calvin Rose, the only Talon to ever escape the grasp of the Court of Owls. This former assassin of the Court is trying to live a normal life ... but that’s impossible when he’s being hunted by his former masters!

SWORD OF SORCERY – Writer: Christy Marx. Artist: Aaron Lopresti.
Featuring the return of Amethyst, Amy Winston leads a strange life on the road with her mother and resents it. She’s about to learn it’s all been necessary when she discovers she’s the lost princess of Gemworld—and she’s being hunted by her murderous aunt. With a back-up story written by Tony Bedard with art by Jesus Saiz, set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the monstrous warrior Beowulf is charged with finding and defeating the evil Grendel.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER - Writer: Dan DiDio. Artist: Brent Anderson.
Spinning out of his recent appearances in JUSTICE LEAGUE and DC’s Free Comic Book Day story, learn more about the true origin of The Phantom Stranger and his connection to the mysterious Pandora.

TEAM SEVEN - Writer: Justin Jordan. Artist: Jesus Merino.
Set in the early days of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52, threads of the entire DC Universe collide. As Superman emerges, so does the world’s counter measures against him and his kind. Team 7 is comprised of Dinah Lance, Amanda Waller, Steve Trevor, John Lynch, Alex Fairchild, Cole Cash, Slade Wilson — and their story will change everything you know about DC COMICS-THE NEW 52.
Posted: June 8, 2012 10:48:32 am
Scott Synder has said he is only co-plotting the book, not writing Talon: https://twitter.com/#!/Ssnyder1835

I'll probably pick up Phantom Stranger if it involves Pandora and that stuff. Otherwise I can skip the rest.

Last edited June 8, 2012 10:48:45 am
Posted: June 8, 2012 11:26:09 am
abysslord said:
Scott Synder has said he is only co-plotting the book, not writing Talon: https://twitter.com/#!/Ssnyder1835

I'll probably pick up Phantom Stranger if it involves Pandora and that stuff. Otherwise I can skip the rest.

I'll be picking both those books up...

Just my 2 pennies, but from what I've read concerning the plotline for this new Talon series reminds me of the Batman/Manhunter story arc from Detective Comics (437-443)...but "re-imagined" in the New 52...Think
Pick-ups this month
Astonishing Tales (Vol. 1) #29
The Defenders (Vol. 1) #s 26-29
Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 1) #s 1, 5, & 25
Logan's Run #6
Marvel Presents (Vol. 1) #s 3-12
Spawn #9
Thor Annual #6
The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #4 (Conquest Comics J. Scott Campbell variants)
Strange Tales (Vol. 1) Annual #1
Adventure Comics (Vol. 1) #457
Life with Archie #36f (CGC 9.Cool
Power Man and Iron Fist #s 50, 54
The Savage She-Hulk #1
The Flash (New 52) #1 (x2)

On the way...
Life with Archie #36d

Back from CGC...
?
Posted: June 11, 2012 9:04:01 am
Well Captain Atom, finally, has got the axe I guess:

CAPTAIN ATOM #0

Written by J.T. Krul, art and cover by Freddie Williams II.

Final issue. Captain Nathaniel Adam volunteers for a dangerous experiment that will make him one of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe! How much can man lose before he is no longer human?

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on Sept. 19.

Solicits for Justice League titles are up:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1206/11/dcsept.htm

Now what's next? I've read Liefeld is safe, so maybe Voodoo or Blue Beetle? It's very weird to have an origin tale be the last issue.
Posted: June 11, 2012 10:29:53 am
I like Voodoo. Pray
Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
Posted: June 11, 2012 11:53:27 am
Resurrection Man is done.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/11/dc-cancels-resurrection-man-in-september/

This is the first cancel of a title that I was enjoying. Oh well, frees up money for a new Image title probably.
Posted: June 11, 2012 12:17:48 pm
dough boy said:
I like Voodoo. Pray

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/11/dc-comics-cancels-voodoo-with-0-in-september/

Posted: June 11, 2012 1:46:36 pm
DC Comics cancels Captain Atom, Resurrection Man and Voodoo

Captain Atom, Resurrection Man and Voodoo will end in September, joining Justice League International in DC Comics’ second wave of New 52 cancellations. As the publisher announced last week, four new titles — Talon, Sword of Sorcery, The Phantom Stranger and Team 7 — will launch as part of the “Zero Month” initiative.

In short, four series end, four series begin, and in October the title count returns to the magical 52 and balance is restored to the DC Universe.

The solicitations also reveal that September’s DC Universe Presents #0 will feature Blackhawks’ Mother Machine, Hawk and Dove, Mister Terrific and O.M.A.C., all characters whose titles ended in May, underscoring comments made last week by Co-Publisher Dan DiDio that, “if a series does go away, we want to make sure we have a proper place for the characters.”

Think of it as the 2012 version of the Cancelled Comic Cavalcade, only this time with all-new adventures that the solicitation text promises will “play out across the entire New 52.” It’s a 64-page issue by the likes of DiDio, Cafu, James Robinson, Rob Liefeld and Marat Mychaels.

Note that there’s no sign of Static or the Men of War crew, who were also set adrift in the New 52′s first wave of cancellations. Perhaps there will be room for those characters, alongside Captain Atom, Resurrection Man and Voodoo, in an upcoming issue.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/06/dc-comics-cancels-captain-atom-resurrection-man-and-voodoo/
"Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"
Posted: June 11, 2012 6:28:13 pm
Resurrection Man is my favorite character and my favorite DC book so this really pisses me off that they got rid of it Evil or Very MadEvil or Very MadEvil or Very Mad

There are books selling worse than Resurrection Man so why get rid of it?

All that I am hoping for now is that maybe he joins the Justice League Dark (Since he was a very short term member of the Justice League before during his first series)
Posted: June 11, 2012 9:03:11 pm
puinno said:
Resurrection Man is my favorite character and my favorite DC book so this really pisses me off that they got rid of it Evil or Very MadEvil or Very MadEvil or Very Mad

There are books selling worse than Resurrection Man so why get rid of it?

Could be trade sales, or expectations weren't met, or they're willing to give the Liefeld books a little more time. I'm just glad I, Vampire got by .... that one may get by because of the subject matter. Res. Man was basically competing in the superhero arena and wasn't selling well, whereas I, Vampire is competing in the specialty genre so to speak.

BUT, I think they should axe the Liefeld books.
Posted: June 11, 2012 11:50:22 pm
I can totally see Resurrection Man in the Justice League Dark so I hope he finds a place on that team...I really hope.PrayPrayPrayPrayPrayPrayPray
Posted: July 6, 2012 4:25:34 am
Have not read Resurrection Man but I hope Phantom Stranger has a slate of guest appearances in the JLD.
Posted: February 1, 2013 7:05:05 am
I wish they had not cancelled Resurrection Man. I think it was well done. Anyways i am enjoying Talon and Phantom Stranger.
Posted: February 7, 2013 3:47:28 pm
So far none of my DC titles have been axed. I hope they will be around for a long time.
"You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
Posted: February 8, 2013 8:05:21 am
More cancellations:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/dc-cancels-firestorm-ravagers-hawkman-deathstroke-sword-of-sorcery-and-team-7/

No surprise with Team 7 and Sword of Sorcery. Seriously, I don't know what they're thinking putting these out, are they expecting 50k in sales or something? It truly seems like they are throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks, but you could save yourself a lot of time by not even green lighting some of these ....... like Vibe. That'll be gone in 6.
Posted: February 8, 2013 8:37:22 am
I'm down to 2 DC titles, Batman and Detective...and I haven't even bothered trying any of the new titles. Like you said just throwing shit out there to see what catches on so why bother.
"Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

Newest Covers
  • Valiant Entertainment's Eternal Warrior Issue # 8
  • Prize Publications's Frankenstein  Issue # 9
  • Bluewater Productions's Logan's Run: Omnibus TPB # 1
  • Icon's The Secret Service Hard Cover # 1
Cool Statues
CBR.com Feature Requests - BE HEARD!